Saturday, August 2, 2008

Interview with Audrey Godwin


I'd like for my readers to get to know me, so I've posted this interview.


Hello, Audrey. Thank you for granting us this interview. We’ve been hearing some wonderful things about your work, and wanted to sit down and talk with you.

CJ: To begin with, let’s talk about when your writing career started. When did you seriously sit down, and say to yourself, I’m going to write a novel?

Audrey: I can remember the very day I did that. It had always been in my heart, even as a child to do it, I just had to make up my mind one day and say this is it! I was working in Washington DC at the time. I had gone through the motions of reading tons of romance novels, but something was missing. I found that missing piece when I sat down at my computer and began creating. It’s a wonderful feeling to create your own story and fill it with characters out of your own imagination. A writer can’t only write, they must read as well. When you do, it’s the greatest feeling in the world.

CJ: What do you find the most difficult to write? Dialogue? Back story? Emotion?

Audrey: I think back story is the most difficult for me. So much is involved in it. You have to dig down into the human psyche since what they experience in their past has so much to do with who they are today. For instance in my book, Dirty Little Steam Queen Kristi Kane had a problem with men until Erik Grant came along and…well, I’ll let you buy the book and find out.

CJ: Have you ever found that you didn’t like your Hero or your Heroine? If so, what did you do to change that?

Audrey: I don’t think it’s possible to dislike your hero or heroine. After all, they are a part of you. At least my characters are. You know what’s inside them…why they act as they do. In my book, Sin City, I’ve found that many of my readers don’t like Griff Nyle because of his blatant infidelity. I can certainly understand that, but I, as his creator, can’t dislike him because I understand him. Griff is truly a bad boy, the kind that you love to hate, but as bad as he is, he finally redeems himself, saves both his marriage and his country, and gives the book a happy ending.

CJ: If you were to start again, with the knowledge you have now, what would be the first thing you do?

Audrey: I’m not sure I would do anything different. It was exciting being ‘discovered’ on the internet by a publisher that loved my work. In those days my writing style was not quite as dark and intense as it is today although it had the same underlying ‘Audrey Godwin’ touch to it, which I’m proud of. Before you accuse me of being an egotistical bitch, let me explain. When I first began writing I knew nothing! Nothing! Guidelines, writing rules, don’t do this, don’t do that… those things didn’t enter my head, so I pulled no punches. As it turned out my first novel, Brothers of the Night was a scorching page-turning success. It was so ‘different’ in substance it was widely talked about by many, some of whom both loved it and hated it. Even those that hated it begged for a sequel, so I wrote one just to keep everyone quiet. I’m glad I did today, because Sugar & Spice turned out to be fabulous!

CJ: Do you write full time, what is your schedule for the day? Or do you have a full time job, if so, when do you find the time to write?

Audrey: Yes, I do write full time. I get to my computer as much as possible, but it’s always interrupted by phone calls, family problems, and my Maine Coon cat, Tigger. She is so spoiled! She’s jealous of my time on the computer, and will not leave me alone! Does anyone want a cat?

CJ: Do you have the support of family and friends?

Audrey: For the most part, yes. I’m always being asked about what I’m writing now, when will it be out, etc. I have two sons that can hardly believe that their mother can write such sexy novels. You know how kids are. Their parents don't know about such things.

CJ: What has been the biggest challenge of your career?

Audrey: Having time to write, promote, and spend time with the other authors and readers on line. I don’t know how they do it. They seem to be able to chat all day long, and put out books as if they’re on an assembly line. Me, I have to plan, do research, edit, think, think, think! I hope no one thinks my absence from the online chats are because I don’t want to be there. It simply isn’t true. I just don’t have time. I love them all and do it when I can, but my books have to come first. It’s for my readers, after all.

CJ: Where do you expect to be in five years?

Audrey: At the top of the Best Selling List!

CJ: Are you a plotter or a pantser? If you are a plotter, what are you methods?

Audrey: The only word I recognize in that question is ‘plotter.’ I plot as I go. I can get one little nugget of an idea in my head and build a whole book around it as I’m writing. Strange, right?

CJ: How have your techniques for character development changed since you’ve been writing? Is it still the same, or has it developed over time, if so how?

Audrey: I suppose it has developed over time. It seems I have always loved to create unique characters. Characters you remember, characters you get to know, and will remember long after you put the book down. For instance, ‘Dagmar’ in Dancing with the Devil, ‘Calico’ in Brothers of the Night and ‘Diego’ in Sin City. I got so carried away with Diego, I had to hold myself back from telling his story along with Griff and Lorelei’s. Maybe Diego will have his own story some day.

CJ: Do you have a book coming out? If so what? Do you have a web site? Do you have a blog? My space?

Audrey: I have several coming out. Sin City (BookStrand) and Dancing with the Devil (Siren) have been recently released. Sweet Hell (BookStrand) was released on July 31st. I’m expecting the edits for Brothers of the Night, and Shadow Lover (BookStrand) any day now. As soon as I get them done they will be on their way to publication as well. My old website is gone now, and I’m shopping around for another. When it becomes active I’ll let everyone know. My blog will be on my website. I haven't done MySpace yet. Soon, maybe, when I get the time.

Thank you for taking the time for answering our questions. Good luck with your writing.

No comments: