Friday, May 15, 2009

5 Cherries for Buckskins and Brocade



Hi, everyone! I wanted to share my first review for Buckskins and Brocade with you. The book received 5 Cherries from Whipped Cream Reviews.

Buckskins And Brocade by Amber Carlton
Publisher: Siren-Bookstrand, Inc.
Genre: Historical
Length: Full (266 pgs)
Other: M/F, M/F/M, Ménage, Voyeurism
Rating: 5 Cherries
Review by Lilac

In this fantastic sequel to Kentucky Woman, a young woman discovers a passionate relationship with the twin bodyguards assigned to protect her.Having been raised in an unconventional, but protective family with two fathers and one mother, Olivia Raines is determined to prove herself and becomes a spy for the First Lady.
Assigned to investigate the disappearance of some boys from the Orphan Train by going undercover as a schoolmarm, Livvie is not prepared for what's to come. She is definitely not prepared for the handsome twins assigned to protect her, Connor and Desmond McBride, but she cannot deny her attraction to the men and soon she doesn't have to.
This was such a wonderful and absorbing story that I didn't want to put down. I especially loved the characters of the story. Livvie really surprised me as despite her confidence and background, there is a naivety and innocence about her. At times she displays a vulnerability which really is quite touching. However, she is a little spitfire and is constantly surprising the brothers with her honesty and daring. I found myself just as taken with Livvie's infectious personality and couldn't help by smile at the things she says and does.
As for the brothers, they made great heroes and were perfect for Livvie. Haunted by a horrific past, Connor and Des have their own reasons for getting involved with the mission to save the boys from the Orphan Train. Life definitely hasn't been easy for the brothers, but with Livvie both of them begin to feel a bit of peace and happiness. However, they didn't grow up in a family like Livvie's and feelings of jealousy crop up as they fear that Livvie could never love them both, something I could understand and which really added to the realness of the story and the relationship.
However, Livvie is just what the brothers needed and I really enjoyed watching their relationship progress.As for the missing orphans plot, I thought it was quite interesting and I couldn't wait to see what would happen next with the investigation. Each new character and revelation added to the story and kept my interest. I really enjoyed how things played out, however, I did feel that the ending was a bit too quick for my tastes. I would have loved to learn and to have seen a bit more regarding the bad guys at the end. I also would have enjoyed another glimpse at Cutter, Billy, and Jessie (Livvie's parents and the characters from Kentucky Woman).
Despite this, I loved this story a great deal. With fabulous characters and a fascinating plot, this is one I was glad to have read.

The whole review is here:



Thanks for reading!
Amber

No comments: