Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Wednesday's words for Descember 23, 2009






We’ve been blessed in that the feared long lay-off my beloved was facing has turned into a two week shut-down. This pleases Mr. Ashbury because—aside from the obvious—he does love to have that time off between Christmas and New Year’s Day, and generally books it as vacation time. And since it is only for two weeks, he remains steadfast in his belief that he is on vacation, and thus is exempt from house-husband status and duties.

I’m not sure where he got this idea. It’s partly my fault, I suppose. During the year, since I no longer work outside the home, the only ‘household’ duties he has are putting out the trash and recently, since our machines are in the basement, putting loads in the washer. He does admit, quite happily, that he’s spoiled. And for the most part I don’t mind spoiling him. But then come the days around Christmas when he is home. With me. All day. Every day. For two long, winter weeks.

We’re only in day 6 so far. Just 6 days. Time seems to be moving a lot more slowly just lately, don’t you think?

We’ve had some interesting comments regarding our Christmas Yucca. It may amaze you somewhat that not all of these comments have been positive – and here I’m talking family members, only. My daughter looked at the tree, then gave her father a narrow-eyed stare, muttering something about not being able to scrub hard enough to get the red off his neck. Our friends all think it’s a great innovation. I do, too. Less to clean up January 4, and no furniture had to be re-arranged in the process.

Our two youngest grandchildren, the ones who helped us decorate the Yucca, were a bit concerned that Santa would be confused, that with the absence of an evergreen (or facsimile thereof) he might not leave us any presents on Christmas Eve. I explained that Santa had been giving us a miss for a number of years now. I’m not sure if the expression on their faces was pity for our missing out on Christmas booty, or censure because we obviously didn’t make the “nice” list and hadn’t for some time.

Our shopping is done, and aside from a bit of baking, I’m reasonably ready for the holiday. I wonder what it is about my nature, that every year Christmas seems to find me generally unprepared and scrambling at the last minute? You’d think I’d learn that it happens every December 25th. Maybe it’s that finely honed denial instinct of mine. I tend not to think about things that aren’t on the immediate horizon.

I keep promising myself that one of these years, I’m going to start my Christmas shopping and planning in March. Never happens, but it’s a comfort to tell myself that when I’m sitting exhausted from yet another trip to the mall in the last couple of weeks in December.

You know, the mall wouldn’t be such a bad place to visit if only there weren’t so many people there. I like the lights and the music. It’s the crowds I loathe. I really am surprised that no one has yet given me a t-shirt with the warning “Does not play well with others” emblazoned upon it. I like people. I do! Just not in crowds.

We’re having my daughter and her son here for dinner Christmas day, then going to my brother’s for a Boxing Day (day after Christmas) brunch. On Sunday we’ll have a bigger crowd here as we entertain the rest of the family.There will be good times, good food, and a few toasts raised to absent loved-ones.

May your Christmas be filled with joy and laughter, and may the magic of the season fill your hearts and warm your hearths with love.

Love,
Morgan
https://www.bookstrand.com/user/277084

No comments: