Thursday, June 18, 2009

"You Gotta Read!" ~ Free Falling Review



I was thrilled to receive a "You Gotta Read!" rating from Val at You Gotta Read Reviews for the second in the Damaged Heroes series, Free Falling.



Thanks so much, Val!

* * * *

Oh my gosh, where to begin with this book? Characters, we will start with the characters. I recently reviewed Murphy's Law which is book 1 in the Damaged Heroes series. Ross had been one of the characters in the first book which left me feeling that his character was just a bit too nice, safe, and maybe a bit too deeply infatuated with Katie. There weren't the sparks you would think when you thought of a romantic couple. So when Ross got his own book, I couldn't help but think, finally, I get to see what makes Ross who he is. I was stunned.

Ross turned out to be a character who definitely had control issues, was a Type A personality and had a wide range of emotions that left me pleasantly surprised. To make a long story short, Ross turned out to be a dream hero! I fell in love with his character, humor and fierce protectiveness of Laurie. He was one to come to a snappy judgement but was slowly learning to look at situations in a different perspective. Laurie's character was so spunky, straightforward at times and humorous about eighty percent of the time (the other twenty percent she was too busy dealing with the action that was taking place in the book). Being a psychologist, she knew her self confidence issues were something she needed to deal with but out of habit, succumbed to regularly putting herself down. It would take a strong man to show Laurie just how beautiful and mesmerizing she really was. Having a gift of being able to read peoples emotions had hindered Laurie in the love department. She couldn't even kiss a man because she could read their deep emotional thoughts. It was just too much for her to handle.

Ross and Laurie's characters were polar opposites with him being the type of person to need control at all times and Laurie's need to help everyone. These two characters complimented each other in a way that was unexpected and appealed to me. Alex was the ex-boyfriend who had left abruptly only to come back into Laurie's life a few months later. The drama he brings to Laurie's life is sure to put some stress on the relationship between Ross and Laurie, or will it only bring them closer? Sheila, Ross' secretary had me laughing so hard with her smart comments and spot on assessment when Ross did something wrong.Now on to the plot of the book. Free Falling was an intense suspense read laced with a paranormal element that certainly brought a sense of intrigue to the story.

A combination of two love stories that were intertwined throughout the book had me hooked. I loved how the clues were left along the way and I was kept on the edge of my seat trying to figure out the the answer to the mystery. The plot line was very well developed and the writing was so smooth it flowed flawlessly. I could feel the emotions of horror, anger and love from Ross as well the helplessness Laurie felt to keep the circumstances that were happening around her at bay.

This is the second book that Ms. James has written in this series and I have fallen in love with her writing style and ability to combine suspense with a breathtaking plot. I highly encourage you to read the entire series. Although Free Falling is book 2 in the series, it can definitely be read as a stand alone book, but I guarantee you that once you read one, you will want to read them all.

No comments: