Saturday, November 26, 2011

Character sketches



That's the first question I ask when I sit down at my computer. I can't write a story if I don't know who my characters are: their history and motivations, what they look like, how they feel about themselves. I need character sketches before I can even begin to think about plot. I like to spend some time playing with my characters in my head: what happens to the heroine if I do this? Or that? How does hero #1 meet her? Does hero #1 know hero #2? Et cetera. I create scenes and populate them with my heroes and their lady. I try to put myself in their shoes (or leather jackets or pelts). It's a lot easier for me to figure out how the characters are going to react to conflict if I know who they are.

Recently I discovered Shelfari as I poked around Amazon, trying to figure out how other authors got those cool extras on their book pages. Since I already have character sketches typed out, I thought it might be fun to post them online. The sketches for Tango Trio's three main characters are up at Amazon and Shelfari, if you're curious.

The character sketches for Appassionato and The First Time is the Sweetest are also up. Check out Shelfari if you'd like to see them!

No comments: