Sunday, June 8, 2014

Life With Baby Doll: Two Gay Men Navigating Life

WARNING:  The links contained within this post will take you to sites with content for mature readers only.  However, this post is suitable for a PG audience.

Andrew and John Website
Since my Life With Baby Doll series began in July, 2013, I have received e-mails from readers who enjoy it not only for the romance I share with John, but for my real life updates. While I am a ManLove erotic romance writer, I’m also an LGBTQ rights activist. There are fans who read the series for the MM romance, and others who want to hear about my experiences as a gay transgender man. There are even some who leave their opinions in comments that I like to refer to as, “things one should never say to a transgender man, or a LGBTQ person in general.”  I believe that everyone has a right to their own opinions, and mine is that hate e-mails and comments are not addressed.
I have some recent updates that I would like to share with everyone concerning John’s health, my continued transition as a transgender man, and the changes that Baby Doll and I made in our relationship status as part of LGBTQ Pride Month.
Those who follow the series already know about  John’s chronic conditions that have plagued him since 2000, followed by new medical diagnoses since early 2013.
In late May, I shared the following on social media:
“In April, I shared the results of  John’s appointment with his rheumatologist. His blood work did not show RA. However, she suspects psoriatic arthritis. That prompted a second round of X-rays and an upcoming MRI. Since his GP is within the same network, we got the results of the second x-rays on his pelvis and hip areas today. He believes that John also has ankylosing spondylitis. The condition is a long-term type of inflammatory arthritis that affects the joints and bones at the base of the spine, near the hips and pelvis. After the MRI, we will return to the rheumatologist to discuss more treatment options. We didn’t like the last pharmaceutical suggestions, and I will be continuing to research alternative medicines until his next appointment.”
The MRI results were consistent with his labs and X-rays.  The ankylosing spondylitis (AS) has already begun to deteriorate the cushioning between the bones and joints in his lower back and hip area.  There is nothing doctors can do.  AS progresses at different levels, and may worsen with age.  Thus, the labs, X-rays, and MRI confirmed what we already suspected.
I’ve said before that I am a man who is used to fixing what is broken, one who likes cut and dry answers.  I have never come to terms with the fact that I cannot fix Baby Doll’s body, not that I haven’t and continue to try.  I don’t give up easily and not without a fight.  I literally owe John my life, and have never had a thought about not devoting that second chance to him. His illnesses don’t play by the rules, leaving me with no choice but to offer him my love as the only comfort.  Many times, I have wished that I could take his pain. I made a promise to John that we would get through this together.  I’m reading new articles everyday about what’s going on in his body.  There is something out there to help him, and I believe I will find it.
Most readers, are aware that I was assigned female at birth.  Since the age of five, my gender identity has been male.  While I was in high school, through research, I discovered that I was a gay transgender man.  When my partner and I came out in September 2013, I have worked to make my gender expression (body characteristics, haircut, clothing, etc.) match my gender identity.  While I have transitioned in every way mentally and emotionally, I am still in the process of transition.  I firmly believe that everyone transitions in their own way, and at their own time.  Gender and sexual orientation are not defined by surgeries and / or hormones, or the lack thereof.  Perhaps, I will always be transitioning to Andrew Kyle Jericho.
In February of this year, I had a hysterectomy.  The surgery was partly medically necessary, and also a personal decision.  This past week, I visited the OB/GYN who had performed the surgery to discuss some issues I have experienced as a result of the hysterectomy.  I inquired about some additional surgery.  While I am out to ninety-seven percent of society, there are still three percent who do not know.  However, I believe she suspects that I am a transgender man.  She will know eventually, maybe sooner than later.  Particularly, after the bout of gender dysphoria that I experienced in visiting her office on Wednesday.
On June 10th, I have an appointment with a plastic surgeon to discuss top surgery (double mastectomy), and what insurance will pay for based on problems I am having with my chest.  Since I live in the South, and he is not a expert in FTM issues, but certainly qualified to do the procedure, I am anxious to hear his response.  I am not out to him either.
My body has physically rejected the sex it was assigned at birth from the age that puberty began.  In addition, I produce more testosterone than what is expected from someone assigned female at birth. That explains my masculine thoughts, feelings, and facial /body structure (minus female reproductive organs). Having known this for some time, through blood work, I am glad for that discovery.  Due to some health issues, I will probably never be able to start HRT (Hormone Replacement Therapy).  For transgender men, this includes testosterone, or T.
Baby Doll has a sense of humor, and has always managed to make me laugh.  John told me that he feared if I was to take additional T, on top of the extra amount my body already makes, that I would end up like a pre-historic cave man. Even in my darkest hours of gender dysphoria, I can count on him to lift my spirits and touch my soul.  After all, it was his love that prevented me from ending my life at the age of seventeen.
Finally, I shared another status update on my social media at the beginning of LGBTQ pride month this week.  While John and I have always been committed as gay males, it is my desire that our state will eventually recognize the partnership that we share as a marriage between two men.
“As part of LGBTQ Pride Month,  John and I have changed our relationship status on FB from married to in a relationship. Most of you already know that I am a gay transgender man. When my partner and I married in 1992, we were only able to do so because all of my documentation listed me as having been assigned female at birth. We are still committed to each other as partners, but now hope to marry as gay men when same-sex marriage becomes legal once again in Arkansas. At that time, we will be seeking legal advice as to the best method of dissolving our old union, perceived by the State of Arkansas, as between a man and a woman.” 
Baby Doll and I are just two gay men navigating life.  While I share our romance, I also feel it’s important to share pieces of our lives that make us humans.  After you take away the writer and the activist, I am just Andrew, a human being like any other.  All of us want identity and humanization with our peers.
Since I’ve turned forty, I am trying to live a minimalist lifestyle.  Simplicity really is the key to life, or at least I believe so. In the materialistic society in which we live,  I believe that humanity and the relationships that we forge with others are of greater value than material wealth.
The Life With Baby Doll series is a free weekly MM romance read on my Website that shares my relationship with John Jericho.
To learn more about John and I visit: Life With Baby Doll.  Due to the increasing popularity of the Life With Baby Doll series, I have created the permanent tab on my Website that contains information concerning our intense and passionate love affair as partners.
I enjoy hearing from all of my readers, and look forward to your e-mails. Remember Love is Love…Period.
Andrew Signature



Andrew Jericho Author Small

Andrew Jericho is a ManLove erotic romance author for Siren-BookStrand Publishing  and LGBTQ rights activist.  All of his work can be found at:  Andrew Jericho.  For questions or comments please e-mail him at:  authorandrewjericho@gmail.com.


No comments: